The Elders, also called the Council of Elders, are an assembly of high-ranking Whitelighters. They are considered the highest authority on the side of good and reside within the Heavens. They advice the magical community and employ their whitelighters to protect and guide witches and future whitelighters. Their main goals are to protect the greater good and maintain the Grand Design.
The exact origin and age of the Elders is unknown. They only appear to answer to the Angels of Destiny, who act as guardians to the Grand Design.
In the times of Ancient Greece, the Titans ruthlessly ruled the earth. To rid the world of the tyrants, the Elders infused several mortals with divine powers, thus turning them into the Greek Gods of mythology. However, after the gods imprisoned the Titans, they were consumed by their own power and declared themselves gods, forcing the world to worship them. The Elders eventually managed to return the essences of the gods into their vault, and swore never to release the gods again.
Atlantis and Magic SchoolEdit
When Atlantis was destroyed by uncontrolled magic centuries ago, the Elders decided that a school was needed to teach young magical beings to control their powers, thus preventing such a tragedy from happening again. However, when Magic School was created, the only Elder willing to run it was Gideon.
The Charmed OnesEdit
The Elders had a complicated relationship with the Charmed Ones. This started when their mother Patty had an affair with Sam Wilder, which resulted in the birth of Paige Matthews. When history started to repeat itself with Piper and Leo, the Elders did everything in their power to prevent the relationship. However, they ultimately decided to gave them a chance and eventually allowed the marriage to happen. Leo later became an Elder after the Titans returned and nearly killed the entire Council. Leo turned the sisters into goddesses and Piper vanquished the Titans once and for all. Leo then left his family to fulfill his new destiny as an Elder.
Gideon and the AvatarsEdit
When it was revealed that the Elder Gideon was the one who was trying to kill Wyatt, the relationship between the Charmed Ones and the Elders was severely damaged. The interaction between the sisters and the Elders became strained and even slightly hostile. Meanwhile, the revelation sent Leo in a blind rage. He killed Gideon and became obsessed with hunting Barbas and protecting his children. This caused him to accidentally kill another Elder named Zola. After this, The Elders became suspicious of Leo and started to distrust him. When they discovered that Leo had become an Avatar, a group of Elders tried to kill him.
When the Avatars were defeated, the Elders decided to impose a trial on Leo to see where he truly belonged. He was stripped of his memories and powers and left somewhere on Earth in order to find his way to his destiny. However, one of the Elders, Odin, tried to sabotage the trial so Leo would remain an Elder. Eventually, Leo found his true destiny when a dying Piper called out to him. Leo then fell from grace and became mortal.
After this, the relationship between the Charmed Ones and the Elders remained strained, although some Elders such as Sandra and Noah were still on friendly terms with the sisters. In "The Closing Chapter", the Elders asked the sisters to reclaim Magic School for good. During a conversation with Paige, Noah hinted that some of the younger Elders were unsatisfied with the council and were planning some form of revolution.
When the Charmed Ones fulfilled their destiny, the Elders felt that a new force of good was needed to keep the balance. For this reason, they selected a new generation of witches to form a coven known as the Chosen, destined for greatness. The Elders then selected Billie Jenkins to lead the coven and restored her previously stripped powers.
When the Brotherhood took over San Francisco, the Elders and the Tribunal cast a spell to alter reality and prevented the rest of the world from discovering the truth. Once the Brotherhood was defeated, they cast a spell to alter the memories of the people inside the city, making them believe a freak storm was responsible.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
The Elders possess the same powers as Whitelighters. Due to their passive nature, the Elders only use their powers in times of great need. It was revealed that after centuries of being passive, the Elders had lost their offensive powers, though they regained them after the Titans nearly killed the entire council. As powers are tied to emotions, their pain and anger reawakened their powers.
Not all Elders possess the same powers, as those with passive powers such as premonition lack more active powers. Additionally, Gideon possessed far more powers than the other Elders, presumably due to his teaching at Magic School. Witches who become Elders retain their powers.
- Orbing: The ability to teleport through use of orbs.
- Remote Orbing: The ability to teleport other beings through the use of orbs without physical contact or orbing oneself.
- Portal Creation: The ability to open portals to other locations, planes and times.
- Electrokinesis: The ability to generate and manipulate electricity and fire bolts of lightning.
- Force Field Generation: The ability to create barriers of energy. As a collective, the Elders could form electrified force fields to protect themselves from harm.
- Invisibility: The ability to make oneself unseen by the naked eye.
- Premonition: The ability to perceive visions of the past, present and future. Only a few Elders possess this power.
- Sensing: The ability to determine the location and status of other beings by concentrating on them.
- Cloaking: The ability to magically hide one's presence and activities from others.
- Healing: The ability to heal the injuries of other beings. The Elders cannot heal the dead, evil beings or self-inflicted wounds.
- Glamouring: The ability to assume the appearance of another person by creating a glamour around the body.
- Hovering: The ability to rise off the ground and hover with or without the use of orbs.
- Photokinesis: The ability to generate and control light and magical orbs.
- Omnilingualism: The ability to understand and speak any language without prior knowledge.
- Reconstitution: The ability to reform the body after it has been destroyed.
- Immortality: The ability to possess a possibly infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process.