Spirits, also referred to as ghosts, are the souls or essences of the deceased. When humans die, their spirits are taken to the afterlife by the Angel of Death. However, when a great injustice has been done or something is left unresolved, spirits may become stuck on earth. These lost or restless souls and may only cross over once their issues are resolved.
When consumed by anger or pain through the injustice of their death or when afraid to move on, spirits may become evil and seek revenge against those that have wronged them. An example of this are Rick and Nathan Lang, two brothers who died alongside Leo Wyatt during WOII. They blamed Leo for their death and sought revenge on him when they discovered he had become a Whitelighter.
These evil spirits may be banished or vanquished through a potion or a spell. The potion in question can be poured onto their remains, while the spell must be cast by another spirit.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
When manifesting in the physical world, spirits are covered in ectoplasm. Their powers and abilities different for each individual, depending on what they were during life, how they died and how long they have been dead.
- Wisping: The ability to teleport through wisping lights or orbs.
- Floating: The ability to rise a few inches off the ground and float. Some spirits float, while others walk like the living.
- Sensing: The ability to determine the location and status of other beings by concentrating on them.
- Invisibility: The ability to become unseen by the naked eye. For spirits, being invisible is a state of being, though they can be seen by magical beings such as witches. Additionally, some spirits can become visible by channeling their anger. When summoned with a spell, spirits are visible to everyone present.
- Intangibility: The ability to move through solid matter. For spirits, being intangible is a state of being, though they can become solid by channeling their anger. When summoned with a spell, spirits can become solid by stepping out of the circle they are summoned in.
- Individual Powers: Spirits can possess a variety of individual powers, including possession, electrokinesis and the ability to throw Plasma Balls. The spirits of witches retain their magical powers and can send messages from the afterlife.