Gretchen is a Whitelighter. She is strict and worrisome about the rules, though she also seems to care about her charges a great deal and is very protective of them.
In 2008, Odin assigned Gretchen to the Chosen to keep them in check. Due to her concern with the rules and the idea that she was replacing Mikelle, the Chosen were not happy with her. They reluctantly worked together to stop a group of demonic children from freeing their father Pazuzu. After defeating the demons, Gretchen decided that she was not a good fit for the Chosen, as their methods were too different. Odin was angered that she quiet, though Sandra agreed with her and gave her a new charge.
In 2027, Gretchen was the Whitelighter of the witches Matt and Diane, who both became victims of the warlock Anders. She was devastated by Matt's death and blamed herself, thinking she failed him. Her relationship with Diane was more troubled, as Diane would often get annoyed by her overbearing ways. Gretchen met Chris when he was investigating Matt's death and tried to use Memory Dust on him. When Chris informed her who he was, she told him everything she knew. Chris then sent her to the Heavens to inform the Elders and to have all Whitelighters keep a close eye on their charges.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Orbing: The ability to teleport through use of orbs.
- Sensing: The ability to determine the location and status of other beings by concentrating on them. Whitelighters have a telepathic and empathic connection to their charges, allowing them to sense when their charges are calling them or when they are hurt.
- Cloaking: The ability to magically hide one's presence and activities from others. Whitelighters can hide their charges from the forces of evil.
- Healing: The ability to heal the injuries of other beings. Whitelighters cannot heal the dead, evil beings or self-inflicted wounds.
- Glamouring: The ability to assume the appearance of another person by creating a glamour around the body.
- Hovering: The ability to rise off the ground and hover with or without the use of orbs.
- Photokinesis: The ability to generate and control light and magical orbs.
- Omnilingualism: The ability to understand and speak any language without prior knowledge. Whitelighters possess a limited form of this power, allowing them to speak the language of charges only when communicating with them.
- Reconstitution: The ability to reform the body after it has been destroyed.
- Immortality: The ability to possess a possibly infinite lifespan and an arrested aging process.